dataset This dataset contains handwritten words dataset collected by
Rob Kassel at MIT Spoken Language Systems Group. I selected a "clean"
subset of the words and rasterized and normalized the images of each
letter. Since the first letter of each word was capitalized and the rest
were lowercase, I removed the first letter and only used the lowecase
letters. The tab delimited data file (letter.data.gz) contains a line for each letter,
with its label, pixel values, and several additional fields listed in letter.names file.
- id: each letter is assigned a unique integer id
- letter: a-z
- next_id: id for next letter in the word, -1 if last letter
- word_id: each word is assigned a unique integer id (not used)
- position: position of letter in the word (not used)
- fold: 0-9 -- cross-validation fold
- p_i_j: 0/1 -- value of pixel in row i, column j