Welcome to the Stanford AI Lab! The Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (SAIL) has been a center of excellence for Artificial Intelligence research, teaching, theory, and practice since its founding in 1962. For more information, please download the pdf of our brochure.
IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Early Career Award
Congratulations to Jeannette Bohg, who was awarded the for winning the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Early Career Award.
IJCAI-18 Computers and Thought Award
Congratulations to faculty member Stefano Ermon, who was awarded the 2018 IJCAI Computers and Thought Award.
Best Paper Awards
SAIL won a number of best paper awards over the past year:
- Michelle A. Lee, Yuke Zhu, Krishnan Srinivasan, Parth Shah, Silvio Savarese, Li Fei-Fei, Animesh Garg, Jeannette Bohg. Making Sense of Vision and Touch: Self-Supervised Learning of Multimodal Representations for Contact-Rich Tasks. Best paper award at ICRA 2019.
- Yuanzhi Li, Tengyu Ma, Hongyang Zhang. Algorithmic Regularization. Best paper award at COLT 2018.
- Pranav Rajpurkar, Robin Jia, Percy Liang. Know What You Don’t Know. Best short paper ACL 2018.
- Rob Voigt, Nicholas P. Camp, Vinodkumar Prabhakaran, William L. Hamilton, Rebecca C. Hetey, Camilla M. Griffiths, David Jurgens, Dan Jurafsky, and Jennifer L. Eberhardt. Language from police body camera footage shows racial disparities in officer respect. Cozzarrelli Prize (best paper in PNAS).
- Amir Zamir, Alexander Sax, William Shen, Leonidas Guibas, Jitendra Malik, Silvio Savarese. Taskonomy. Best paper award at CVPR 2018.
- Zi Ye, Olga Diamanti, Chengcheng Tang, Leonidas Guibas, Tim Hoffmann. A unified discrete framework for intrinsic and extrinsic Dirac operators for geometry processing. 1st Place best paper award at SGP 2018.
- Jingwei Huang, Yichao Zhou, Matthias Nießner, Jonathan Shewchuk, Leonidas Guibas. QuadriFlow: A Scalable and Robust Method for Quadrangulation. 2nd Place best paper award at SGP 2018.
SAIL announces new research initiative funded by JD.com
SAIL is delighted to announce that JD.com, China’s largest retailer has agreed to establish the SAIL JD AI Research Initiative, a sponsored research program at the Stanford Artificial Intelligence Lab. The collaboration will fund research into a range of areas including natural language processing, computer vision, robotics, machine learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning, and forecasting.
We are pleased to have two new faculty joining us, Chelsea Finn and Tengyu Ma, who will greatly add to our strength in theoretical machine learning, reinforcement learning, and robotics. (Chelsea will begin next year with a joint appointment in Electrical Engineering.)
Chelsea won the 2018 ACM Doctoral Dissertation award, and Tengyu was recognized as an honorable mention. Congratulations!
SAIL Affiliates Program Welcomes Newest Member: Google and DiDi
The SAIL Affiliates Program is pleased to welcome Google, the largest internet-related technology company providing advertising, search, cloud computing, software, and hardware technologies and, DiDi, a major ride-sharing company that provides transportation services for close to 400 million users across over 400 cities in China. Google and DiDi joins existing members: Panasonic, UST Global, Tencent, Samsung, and Oppo.